India is truly fertile soil for a cornucopia of those weird only-in-India stories. Here’s instalment 7 of Incredible India.
* A sick man in the South Indian state of Kerala died after the dilapidated stretcher on which he was placed broke into two and he fell to the ground. If the end result wasn’t so tragic, it’d be funny. Here, read the full story in the Hindu. (Thanks to Cool Frog_20)
* The Indian masses are literally and figuratively powerless. Six decades after Independence, Uttar Pradesh (the North Indian state from which at least seven Indian Prime Ministers hail), faces a daily power shortage of 2,500MW. And we are not even in the summer months yet. The state’s power crisis is going to get worse in the next fiscal year.
* You have a court case pending in India? Not to worry, it’ll come up for hearing in your grandson’s time. India needs 77,000 judges to clear the humongous backlog of 2.5 crore cases stuck in various courts.Â
* Another 100 million Indians pushed into starvation – What’s the big deal in a country where misery runs rampant but people build billion dollar mansions.Â Read whatÂ Indian President Pratibha Patil says on the starvation issue.
* Co-education & Islam don’t mix in India. A Madrasa board in the North Indian state of Uttar Pradesh has banned co-education in Madrasas in the state. Why don’t the Madrasas ask the Khan gang (SRK, Aamir, Saif, Salman, FardeenÂ and Zayed) not to star opposite women or at least Hindu women. Read this excerpt on the co-ed ban in IBN Live:
The Uttar Pradesh Board of Madarsa Education (UPBME) has banned co-education in madarsas across the state, saying it is against the “spirit of Islam”.
“In Islam, parda (veil) is very important. By allowing co-education we promote ‘be-pardgi’ (women without veil), which is against Shariyat.
“This is why we have directed all the madarsas to do away with the co-education system from this academic session.
And we will ensure that this directive is followed in letter and spirit,” UPBME Chairman Haji Rizawan Haq told PTI. (Thanks to Cool Frog_20)
Mera Bharat Mahaan.