Voila, a wonderful new way to waste time.
We just discoveredÂ an ad-free andÂ free legal music service called LalaÂ that provides a decent selection of Hindi, Tamil and Kannada songs.
Lala claims to offer a whopping six million songs. No, we didn’t count.
Registration is simple and took us only a few seconds.
Lala works in a browser. We played all the songs in our favorite browser – Firefox (version 3.0.3). No glitches. Just music.
Here are some of the key features of Lala:
1. Listen to an astounding collection of six million songs via streaming.
2. Add web access to your existing music library like iTunes for free (requires the Music Mover software download).
3. Buy web access to songs for 10 cents per song.
4. Buy DRM-free MP3 songs for about 89 cents per song.
Of course, there are catches. Are you surprised?
You can listen to a full song for free just once. But you can add up to 50 songs to your collection that you can listen to as many times as you want via streaming.
Hey, with a six-million song cornucopia out there, we ain’t complaining.
Support from Majors
All four music labels – EMI, Sony BMG, Universal Music and Warner Music – as well as thousands of independent labels are supposed to be supporting Lala.
How We Wasted Our Time
We listened to Kishore Kumar and Asha Bhosle crooning Bachke Rehna Re Baba (lovely song from the Amitabh Bachchan film Pukar) and S.P. Balasubrahmanyam singing that beautiful Tamil song from the 70s – En Kanmani (from the film Chittukuruvi starring Sivakumar – Surya’s father).
Here are some of the other songs we listened to on Lala today:
* Chalte Chalte (Kishore Kumar) – from the movie of the same name
* Ae Bhai Zara Dekh KeÂ – from the Raj Kapoor filmÂ Mera Naam Joker.
* Piya Tu Aab To (R.D.Burman, Asha Bhosle) – Great song from Caravan.
* Oru Naal Unnodu (SPB, S.Janaki) – a fine song from the 1976 movie Uravaadum Nenjam.
* Pachchaikkili (T.M. Sounderarajan, P.Susheela) – from the MGR movieÂ Ulagam Sutram Valiban.Â Perhaps, our all-time Tamil favorite song.
* Thiruchendurin Kadal – from that sami-padam Deivam (yes, we’ve seen it).
* Meenkodi Theril (K.J.Yesudas) – another favorite for years.
* Kannada Naadina (P.B.Sreenivas) – An old classic from the 1970s hit Naagarahaavu.
* Endendu Ninnanu Maretu (P.B.Sreenivas, S.Janaki) – A classic from the Rajkumar film Eradu Kanasu.
* Ellellu Neene (S.P.Balasubrahmanyam) – Superb song.
* Nagunaguthaa Nee Baruve (Rajkumar, S.Janaki) – Another must-listen to song from the dear departed annavaru (as Rajkumar was fondly known in Karnataka).