Incredible India 24; Babies Have Babies, Really

Time for another edition of Incredible India, folks.

* A 12-year-old girl in the North Indian city of Jaipur who delivered a child the other day did not even realize she was pregnant until the delivery. No, we are not kidding.

Here’s an excerpt from the Times of India story:

She was too young to even to realize that she was pregnant until she had delivery on Wednesday morning. Due to ignorance and illiteracy, the only medical care she received during pregnancy was when an emergency ambulance picked her up from the roadside and admitted her to ‘Mahila’ Hospital, but that was only after she had delivered the baby girl.

* Only men engage in gang-rape in India. Women can’t, says India’s Supreme Court.

* Indian parliamentarians say there should not be sex education in schools because it’s against the country’s social and cultural ethos. Now, you know why there are 1.2 billion mosquitoes in India.

* Who says only girls are kidnapped for marriage in India. In parts of Bihar, young boys are in demand too. A 15-year-old boy was kidnapped from Lodipur village near Gaya.

* Death comes in the strangest and cruelest ways in India. Ravi Panda, an unfortunate 13-year-old lad from Bakshaghat near Purnia town in Bihar, was beaten to death for the sin of plucking mangoes in an orchard.

* Encroachment on public or private land is so common in India that no even takes notice any more. But in one Tamil Nadu village, it reached new heights – a cremation ground was encroached upon.

* In the just announced results of the UPSC’s IAS exam, the top three rank holders are girls. Boy, are we thrilled. Ghaziabad girl Shubhra Saxena (B.Tech from IIT Roorkee) was the topper; Sharandeep Kaur Brar (M.A. from Punjab University) of Chandigarh came second. Kiran Kaushal of Raipur was third.

Mera Bharat Mahan.

4 Responses to "Incredible India 24; Babies Have Babies, Really"

  1. Aswin_Kini   May 5, 2009 at 1:10 am

    Hmm, such unfortunate incidents do happen in India. Let’s hope they are dealt with efficiently and abolished completely. Responds:

    You write above: Let’s hope they are dealt with efficiently and abolished completely.

    Not in this Kali Yuga.

  2. aditya_k   May 5, 2009 at 8:33 am

    the last point was heart-warming… Responds:

    Yes, indeed.

  3. devishakti   May 5, 2009 at 10:33 am

    Hello, have you ever heard ‘teenage pregnancies’ in North America.

    Thousands of teenage girls as young as 8 to 9 years old have become preganant in USA, Canada and Europe every year. Incest is equally prevalent in USA and other countries. Although two wrong things do not make it right but it always amazes me when one become so harsh to criticize India ignoring what is happening in their own newly adopted country. We say first sweep under your own bed befor you start looking at the dirt under other beds. Responds:

    1. You write above: have you ever heard ‘teenage pregnancies’ in North America.

    No, how does it look?

    Well, in our country when babies are makin babies they know they are makin babies. They don’t think they are having stomach ache. LOL.

    2. You write above: Although two wrong things do not make it right

    You got it right, kiddo. Bravo.

  4. sumeshy   May 5, 2009 at 4:21 pm

    The judges who gave the verdict on the gang rape must be like 80-90 years old who applied their house hold experiences rather than logic. If any minor was taken advantage of, it shld be investigated, who took it shld not matter – well India will be blissfully unaware at all times.

    The mango death – what finally will happen is the father will be cajoled to take compensation money (30% and the rest 70% to the cops) from the grove owner, under the pretext that the kid aint coming back even if the grove owner is punished. the peace will be brokered by the cop – believe me, this happens in a very normal manner in Bihar

    Lastly, ponnatha kooda vittu vaikala (did not even leave a dead body alone).

    In btw, i think no one told the TN CM that Tamils in Canada were jeered and ridiculed at by the Canadian Foriegn minister. Would he go on another hunger strike to protect these tamils too? Responds:

    If Loose Paiya loses on May 13 (date of Tamil Nadu elections) it’d be cause for celebration. Maybe, even restore our faith in Bhagawan. 🙁

You must be logged in to post a comment Login