Here comes the 29th episode of Incredible India.
*Got hammered has a different meaning in India these days. Nothing to do with Sri Lankan bowlers being hammered by Indian batsman MS Dhoni. You see, hammered has taken on a literal meaning now. A pregnant woman in North India had her head hammered with a nail by her errant husband. Not content with such ‘caring’ treatment, the ‘loving’ husband then abandoned her. No kidding.
* Six pregnant women died in a Madhya Pradesh government hospital in a span of 15 hours. Go figure.
* Pregnant and poor in India? Start praying. A pregnant woman was recently refused help at three government hospitals in Bangalore.
* Who says Indian uncles don’t love their nieces? A pregnant woman constable was allegedly stabbed to death by her paternal uncle after she married again following the death of her first husband.
* No sooner did the Indian courts outlaw Section 377 than Indian boys have started heading to the temples. Oh no, not to thank the lord. But to tie the knot. Here’s a short account of Jeeta and Amit, who went to the Shirdi temple in Chandigarh.
* Whoever knew that Afghanistan (one of the few countries in the world worse than India) had an Army Chief? Thanks to the clowns at India’s Press Information Bureau, who put out some of the zaniest press releases, we now do. Hooray, General Bismillah Khan Mohammadi, Chief of General Staff of Afghan National Army is on a four days official visit to India and will ‘discuss various contemporary issues’ with senior Indian military and civilian defence officers. Wonderful. Next, we’ll be ‘discussing contemporary issues’ with the Army Chiefs of Nauru and Tuvalu.