Folks, here’s your latest fix of Incredible India, those only-in-India stories.
In this edition of Incredible India, we focus on the plight of young girls in Indian schools.
Here are some of the more brutal stories:
* In India, education is believed to be the passport to a good life. So in pursuit of the holy grail of prosperity, even poor folk scrimp and scrounge to send their children to good schools. But when the poor are lax in paying the high school fees, their children have a harrowing time as a recent incident has demonstrated.
Indian newspapers report that a school in Faridabad (on the outskirts of India’s capital city of New Delhi) forced a 3rd-grade girl to remove her shirt for not paying the fees (that should never have been sought in the first place).
Here’s the nine-year-old girl in her own words:
“I was forced to take off my T-shirt. When my teacher caught hold of my skirt, I told her not to do that. When I asked why she was doing it, she said it was the principal’s order. Then I was asked to stand half naked for a long time and when I tried to cover myself, she asked me to stand straight,” the nine-year-old victim said.The victim’s mother said that she has a document to prove that her daughter is exempted from paying fees.
* A few months ago, Shano Ayub, a young girl studying in the 2nd grade at a Delhi school died after being subjected to cruel punishment by her teacher.
* Last year, Rinky Kaushik, a 15-year-old girl assaulted by her Delhi school teacher died after the blows aggravated her pre-existing condition.
* In July, Afsari Parveen, a six-year-old girl at a village school near Ranchi, died after falling into the vessel in which the mid-day meal was being cooked.
* And on Friday evening (i.e. yesterday, August 28, 2009), the principal/owner of a school in Jaipur is alleged to have raped a 6th grade girl.
Hey, what’s that noise we hear?
Ah, must be Indian school girls singing Mera Bharat Mahaan.