Cricket history will long remember Ross Taylor’s splendid knock of 131 not out in the New Zealand vs Pakistan match at the ICC World Cup Cricket match at Kandy in Sri Lanka on March 8, 2011.
Folks, one for the record books.
Taylor’s magnificent knock changed the complexion of the game.
NZ won the toss and elected to bat. But we missed the NZ batting after a late night of bacchanalian revelry. 😉
Thanks to Willow TV’s Replay feature, we watched Ross Taylor’s magnificent knock that eventually propelled his team New Zealand to victory by setting a high target of 303 for Pakistan.
We started the Willow Replay with Ross Taylor on 57 (off 88 balls). NZ was on 159-4 after 38.3 overs. The NZ Run Rate was about 4.1. Ah, just in case you are curious Scott Styris was the other NZ batsman.
Here’s how the last 11 overs went.
* 40th over – NZ 163-4. Taylor 60 (94 balls), Styris 20 (29 balls)
* 41st over – Paki captain Shahid Alfridi bowling. Nice boundary by Styris in the over. NZ 173-4 Run rate 4.22 Taylor 63 (97); Styris 27 (32)
* 42nd over – Umar Gul bowling. Gets a breakthrough. Scott Styris lbw for 28 (off 37 balls) in the last ball of the over. NZ 175-5. Does not look good for NZ. Run rate 4.17
* 43rd over – Nathan McCullum is new NZ batsman in. Shahid Alfridi bowling. 5 Runs come in the over NZ 180-5. Taylor @ 67 (off 102 balls); new batsman Nathan McCullum 1 (2)
* 44th over – Umar Gul bowling. Concedes 8 runs in over. Taylor 68; McCullum 5; NZ 188-5
* 45th over – Shahid Alfridi bowling his final over.
And the Carnage STARTS.
Two magnificent Sixers in the over. One by McCullum and then Taylor repeats the feat in the last ball. NZ now 202-5. Run Rate climbs to 4.49. Good.
* 46th over – Umar Gul. A wonderful Sixer by Nathan McCullum over square leg in the 4th ball of the over. And then, what a shame, he’s clean bowled in the 5th ball. Jacob Oram is new batsman in. Survives lbw appeal in last ball of over. NZ ends the over @ 210-6. Run rate – 4.57
* 47th over – Shoaib Akhtar is the bowler. His 9th over. Shoaib has got 1 wicket so far in this match for 42 Runs.
Taylor in a fury
Hammers Shoaib for three Sixers and two boundaries. Very expensive over for Pakistan. 28 runs conceded (including two wides). Can Shoaib live down this shame? No 😉 NZ 238-6. Run Rate 5.06 Taylor reaches century milestone with a magnificent six over midwicket in the last ball of the over. Taylor 102 (off 117 balls)
* 48th over – Abdur Rehman. NZ batsmen continue rampage. 15 Runs conceded highlighted by magnificent Six by Jacob Oram . NZ 253-6. Ru Rate climbs to 5.27
* 49th over – Abdul Razzak comes in to bowl. Taylor at the striker’s end.
Shame; Ross Taylor Buggers Abdul Razzak
Taylor inflicts immense pain on Razzak in this over with three Sixers, two Boundaries and a 2. 🙂
1st ball – Boundary
2nd ball – Six over midwicket
3rd ball – Wide
3rd ball – Six
4th ball – Wide
4th ball – 2
5th ball – Boundary
6th ball – Six
All by Taylor. What a glorious innings.
Taylor made Abdul Razzak look like a chutiya bachcha. 😉
Including the two wides, another extremely expensive over costing 30 runs!
NZ 283-6 Run Rate 5.78 Taylor 131 (124 balls); Oram 13 (6 balls)
The last five overs have cost Pak 95 runs.
* 50th over – Abdur Rehman comes into bowl final over for Pakistan oops Terroristan. Oram opens the over with two splendid Sixers. 😉
Alas, he’s out in the third ball c Umar Gul. Good knock of 25 (in 9 balls) NZ 299-7.
Kyle Mills comes in and starts off with a fine boundary. And with the addition of 3 more runs, New Zealand closes with a very respectable 302-7
The last 5 overs cost Pakistan 100 Runs. 😉
Folks, we’ve watched a lot of matches but Taylor’s punishment of the Bowlers was a sweet treat to us. Apparently, it is Taylor’s birthday today. what a fine gift he gave himself.
Terroristan Chasing Big Score Against NZ; Pakis Lose