Tamil film star Kamal Haasan has been a fixture on the screen for as long as we can remember.
In an acting career spanning over five decades, Kamal Haasan has performed a variety of roles in Tamil, Telugu and, occasionally, even Hindi films.
While Kamal Haasan is no Marlon Brando, the South Indian star is leagues ahead of most of his Tamil peers (most of whom wouldn’t recognize acting if it slapped them on their face).
Here’s what Kamal Haasan had to say about himself in an interview with India Today in 1982:
* Even if I was a priest I would have got married. As a bachelor you get restless. Sex is a rare commodity and you get love fever.
* I do not subscribe to any thought pattern.
* [I am a] bundle of contradictions.
* I want to be rich and idealists are not wealthy people. I am trying to mix the perfect cocktail between idealism and practicality.
* Marriage has tied me. It has put an end to my nocturnal activities and regularised my life.
* I will cut through Hindi films as if it is butter. What matters is not my southy looks but what the audience sees in the two hours of darkness in a movie theatre where we are the only lights.
* Call me an opportunist, a nonconformist, whatever you like. But if you ask me what I am, I can only tell you one thing- a happy man.
Source: India Today, April 30, 1982 Vol VII Number 8, P.116-119
Kamal Haasan’s First Film – Kalathur Kannamma (1960)
Kamal Haasan’s Latest Film – Manmadhan Ambu (2008)