Like many of you, we also believe things were always so much better in the old days.
Ditto with old Tamil songs from the maestro Ilayaraja.
A.R.Rahman may be the fashion of today but the fame of Ilayaraja is as tall as the Himalayas. And deservedly so considering the joy he’s provided to so many millions over so many years.
Where do you even start with an artiste like Ilayaraja.
We’re having great difficulty in picking a few songs because the man is an embarras de richesses.
Here are some of the old Ilayaraja songs we’re listening to:
* Poovarasampoo Poothachu – Lovely song featuring Radhika from the 1978 movie Kizhake Pogum Rail. The singer is S.Janaki.
* Machchana Pathingala – By God, this one is a classic from the 1976 film Annakilli. Our current all-time favorite (current all-time – is that a contradiction in terms?).
* Senthoora Poove – Watch Sridevi in virginal white from the movie 16 Vayathinile. A lovely tune, albeit similar to Machchana Pathingala.
* Poongathave – Simply lovely. One of Ilayaraja’s finest. The girl (Ragini??) is Tamil-pretty. Ragini, where art thou?
* En Uyir Nee Thaane – Big hit from the movie Priya.
* Senorita, I Love you – Rajinikanth in Johnny.
* Vazhumattam – Rajinikanth again, this time in Kali.
* Oru Thanga Rathathil – See superstar Rajinikanth in Dharma Yuddham.
* Thamthana Thamthana – This one is from the 1979 movie Pudhiya Vaarpugal starring Rati Agnihotri and Bhagyaraj.
* Azhagiya Kanne – Sweet, sweet number from Uthiri Pookal.
* Manjal Nilavukku – One of our favorites, from the 1979 movie Mudhal Iravu.
* Vizhiyile Malarndhadhu – Superb number from the 1977 movie Bhuvana Oru Kelvikuri.
* Andhi Mazhai Pozhigirathu – Nice song from the Kamal Haasan film Raaja Paarvai.
We’ll keep adding.
SI Readers’ Recommend:
* Ilaiya Nila (Boopalnj) -Fine song from the movie Payanangal Mudivathillai
* En Vaanile (Boopalanj) – Sridevi and Rajinikanth in Johnny.
* Nee Paartha (Boopalanj) – Kamal Haasan and yesteryear star Rani Mukerji in Hey Raam.
* Ennadi Meenkashi (Shuaib68) – Ugly dance by Kamal Haasan. Big hit from the 1970s movie Ilamai Oonjalaadukirathu.
* Enna Saththam (the many avatared Ã†nima) – Beautiful song from the Kamal Haasan-Revathi film Punnagai Mannan.
* Uravenum Puthiya (the many avatared Ã†nima) – This one is from Nenjathai Killaathe.
* Idhu Oru Pon Maalai Pozhudhu (parthiban) – From the Bharathiraaja film Nizhalgal.
* Kalyana Maalai (sunnysonu) – Nice one from Puthu Puthu Arthangal.
* Mandram Vantha Thendralukku (sunnysonu) – See lovely Revathi in Mouna Ragam.
* Ninnukori Varanum (SI’s alter ego) – Another Ilayaraja favorite of ours from the movie Agni Natchathiram featuring the graceful Amala.
* Ilamai Enum Poongaatru (SI’s afterthought) from Pagalil Oru Iravu.
* Idhu Oru Nila Kalam (SI‘s afterthought) – Yummy Madhavi in the 1981 film Tik Tik Tik.
* Oh Paapa Laali (Telugu pick from Yourmate) – From the film Geetanjali.
* Nethu Rathiri – Kamal Haasan and Silk Smita in Sakalakala Vallavan.
* Yen Iniya Pon Nilave (sunnysonu and Aswin_Kini) – Pratap Pothen in Moodupani.
* Rakkamma Kaiya Thattu (supergirl) – Cute Sonu Walia and grandpa Rajinikanth in Thalapathi. We like this song so much we have it bookmarked on our iPhone too.
* Botany Patamundi (supergirl) – Included this Telugu song from Shiva only because it features our sweety-pie Amala.
* Malli Malli (chaitu1987) – Chiranjeevi and Suhasini in the Telugu film Rakshasudu.
* Prema Entha Madhuram (chaitu1987) – From the Telugu movie Abhinandhana.
* Senthaalam Poovil (bajurajan) – Sarat Babu and Shoba in the Rajinikanth classic Mullum Malarum
* Maasi Masam (shadowfax_arbit) – Another lovely number.
* Sundari Neeyum (shadowfax_arbit) – From the Kamal Haasan film Michael Madana Kamarajan.
* Inji Idupalagi (shadowfax_arbit) – Beautiful Revathi and Kamal Haasan from Thevar Magan.
* Panivizhum (sunnysonu) – The video quality is not great but the song from the 1982 film Ninaivellam Nitya makes up for it.
* Madai Thiranthu (sunnysonu) -This nice song from the movie Nizhalgal selects itself.
* Kodiyile Malligappoo (Bajurajan) – The movie is Kadalora Kavithaikal (1982).
* Kadhal Kavithaigal (Satish Kumar) – From Gopura Vasaliley.
* Nalam Vaazha (Satish Kumar) – The movie is Marupadium featuring Revathy and Nizhalgal Ravi.
* Vaanaville Vaanaville (Satish Kumar) – Nice song from the Vijaykanth movie Ramanaa
* Sorgame Endralum Athu (Arshadsod) – Charming song from Ooru Vittu Ooru Vanthu.
comparing Raja sir to Rahman is like apples to oranges… Both have given brilliant compositions to Indian cinema…
But so much attention is focused only on Rahman these days that it seems very unfair to the others.
Ha.. If we try to take a count on Ilaiyaraja’s best ones, we may fail to cover it in this single post..
There are simply many, so many, which we cannot list down or you cannot finish listening in a day..
I would personally recommend – Janani Janani [Thai Mookambigai], Andha Nilava than [Mudhal Mariyadhai], En Vaanile [Johny], Ilaiya Nila [Some mohan film- I guess – Payanangal Mudivathillai], Naan paadum [Idhaya kovil], Nee paartha [Hey Ram], Dheiveega raagam [Ullasa paravaigal], Kadavul ullame [anbulla rajinikanth], etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc….. 🙂
Added some of the songs in your list to the above post. Thanks.
Some from me….
Waan nila nila alla,
En waanilay, warum anbey waa…
Ennadi meenachchi, sonnadu yennachchi…
Ayiram malargaley malarungal….(Niram Marada Pookkal)
Nenjil itta kolam ellam aliwathillai (Aliyadha Kolangal)
Wellai manam ulla machchan….
Waa vennila, unnai thaaney…(Mella Thirandha Kadhawu)
Engey en jeewane, unnai kandeyney…
Kaalai thendral paadiwarum paadal (Janaki-Uyarndha Ullam)
Added Ennadi Meenkashi from your list to above post.
Liked Ayiram Malargaley Malarungal (seen the movie) too but couldn’t get the YouTube link.
you have taken up an impossible task..
here are a few from the Hassan family
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rIExcfcSOY (Enna Saththam – PUnnagai Mannan)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cji2ns0D1MU (Uravenum – Nenjathai Killathey)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B-X-ChAT7w (Pon Maanae – Oru Kaidhiyin Diary)
Yes, picking a few songs from the rich pickings of Ilayaraja was probably the thirteenth labor of Hercules.
Added two of your picks to above post.
But for music, Tamil movies would be wholly unbearable.
We would have loved to add the YouTube link for Oru Naal but couldn’t get the link.
“idhu oru pon maalai pozhudhu” – nizhalgal
“Nee paartha parvaikku oru nanri” – hey ram
are my favourite from Mr.Raja.
Idhu oru pon maalai pozhudhu added to above post.
Few More of raja hits :
Yen iniya Pon Nilaave: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFEBez4ZNno
Poon Kadhave: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA_6ooFScq4
Nee pathi naan pathi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3GeZlBWaB8
Kalyana Maalai: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihQ-_LNUhHM
Poove Sempoove: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQXmGk4x-bo
Mandram vantha thendralukku: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKy6lO-TJvw
Added Poon Kadhave, Mandram vantha thendralukku and Kalyana Maalai to above post.
Ilayaraja has composed some beautiful telugu songs:
this is a chiru song:
By the way, Salangai Oli’s music is by Raja.
We stumbled on this Chiranjeevi-Radhika video a few hours back and we had to go to the Emergency Room (U.S. phrase for urgent visit to a doctor).
Can anything in life be worse than the above video? The fella should be tried in an international court for crimes against humanity.
BTW, the music for the above song (Movie: Abhilasha) is by Ilayaraja 🙁
We are happy Chiranjeevi lost the elections to the Cong-I. No one this bad an actor deserves to be Chief Minister. 😉
Very difficult to do a IR collection of best songs. Here is one of my favourite (I like both the telugu (SPB) and tamil (Mano) versions).
I am not sure if you have watched this, check this out.
It was a very good show to commemorate the success of ARR winning the Oscar. I have posted only the first part but if you see the links in youtube you can check out the full show. ARR in his speech mentions about the hate that is generated on the internet and sends out a request to disengage!!!
1. You write above: Very difficult to do a IR collection of best songs.
True. That’s why in response to an earlier comment, we said this must have been the 13th labor of Hercules.
2. Added Oh, Pappa Laali to the above post.
3. Yes, we’ve seen the Rahman felicitation by Ilayaraja and others.
By the way, Lok Satta president Jayaprakash Narayan won from Kukatpally, Hyderabad by a margin of 15000 votes even after the “efforts” of the Congress candidate (unofficial estimate of the “efforts” amounts to abt 30 crore).
Also, what abt your Salangai Oli promise? Maybe you want to keep me in perpetual waiting.
1. Jayaprakash Narayan’s victory – Bravo. Here’s the Lok Satta link for those who wish to know more.
2. OK, we’ll do Salangai Oli in a fortnight. Serious.
3. Did you watch this this Chiranjeevi-Radhika video?
In view of the pain caused to you by the above video, i will recommend these. give your opinion on the music:
All the songs are nice. Added Prema Entha Madhuram and Malli Malli to above post.
We have a hard time believing that as bad an actor as Chiranjeevi is a superstar. Guess, people get the superstar they deserve. 😉
Will do in the morning and update this response (tis’ 1:00 AM on East Coast and we’ve lots to read before the lights go off in more ways than one).
nethu raathiri yamma
thookam pochudi yamma
guyes,how come you forget a classic like this?this songs is right uip in the top of entire rraja songs
Added Nethu Rathiri to above post.
I don’t remember the film name, but I do remember this lovely song. Yen Iniya Pon Nilave….. All I can remember is that the song was sung in the film by Radhika’s former Husband .
Yen Iniya Pon Nilave is a favorite of sunnysonu too. Added to above post.
hey! some tamil and telugu songs of illayaraja tht i like
Anjali (anjali anjali)
Nirnayam (hello guru)
Shiva (botany patamundi)
Swarnakamalam (Andela ravamidi)
Will suggest more when i find them….
Added Rakamma Kaiya Thattu and Botany Patamundi to above post.
like this from IR
This is from the Hindi version of Roja…So has to be A.R.Rahman.
well, now i could guess, whats near.
Your favourite movie quotes.
senthalam poovil 4m t movie mullum malarum 🙂
Definitely. Added to above post.
What abt maasi maasam? One of my favourites.
So nice it selects itself to above post.
Some of my other faourites…
Malai Kovil Vaasalile from Veera
And the sensuous sivarathiri
or sundari neeyum from Michael Madana Kamarajan
Inji idupazhagi from devar magan
and the list goes on……….
The sight of the non-actress Meena put us off the first song in your list.
Added Sundari Neeyum and Inji Idupalagi from your list.
Yo Boopalan, you turned out to be a trend-setter for this post..!! 😉
Besides the list, I recommend the movie – ‘Sindhu Bhairavi’ [Ilaiyaraja won National award for Best music direction]
Hope you keep roaming with iPod or some other latest gizmo – listening to SI-Readers-recommended Ilaiyaraja’s songs 😀
Actually, we don’t have that many songs in our iPods. One of these days, we’ll transfer all our Hindi CDs to iTunes and then the iPhone/iPod.
But we’ve bookmarked many of the Ilayaraja songs on YouTube in the iPhone. It works fine on the road too via 3G.
Few more :
Madai thiranthu thaavum nathi : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PucI_AZLaA0
ninaivellame nithya :
Added Panivizhum and Madai Thiranthu to above post.
Sir, I just happened to see “Watchmen” today. I think it is one of the very few movies that struck to the original comic storyline faithfully and yet came out well. I guess it is worth a watch. Please do try watching it and let me know your comments.
A few things I liked about the movie:
1) The movie was made in lines with the comic, very few deviations.
2) From my POV, each character pointed out to its own perspective on humanity and its drawbacks.
3)The movie preaches no morals, but instead chooses to go on a new track.
4) The climax was unexpectedly different, but hard to digest.
Watchmen is not running in theatres now and Netflix still does not have it. So, we’ll have to wait for a few weeks at least.
Give it a try too – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG9Sbg_gkxA – Colonial Cousins – Hariharan
Blessed are those who disbelieve in the fiction of Krishna, Jesus, Allah et al.
Also, Try ‘Indian Tapatham’ under this link [Laya Project – Music from six asian Tsunami hit countries]
http://www.layaproject.com/layaproject/audio.html [For better clarity – download and listen please]
The above one is a blend of Carnatic and Folk music. A must.
Listened to the audio. Nice (Indian Tapatham). Was the beginning Nadaswaram? The last few seconds seemed like funeral drums. 😉
Will watch the video later tonight.
Looks like they have a presence in Teynampet, Chennai.
Exactly funeral drums.
In fact, that is how the great music patterns originate. It is actually from Folk music of the lower class of the society [which today got restricted with funeral processions]. Great musicians of the civilized society organizes the same in a new manner, invents new sounds, patterns ,etc., and it becomes a new era.
The beginning was Nadaswaram [But from the villages] with the combination of Thavil.
Laya project collected musics from different countries of asia, hit by Tsunami, that share same sky, same ocean, same food, and fight for survival.
sangeetha jaathi mullai (kadhal oviyum)(i like almost all t songs 4m tis movie :))
pottu vaitha (idhayam)
nee partha (hey raam)
kodiyile (kadalora kavithaigal)
Kodiyile Malligappoo added to above post.
Nalam Vaazha – Marupadiyum
Kaadhal Kavidhaigal – Gopura vasalile
Added both to above post.
Kakkai Siraginile – Ezhavadhu Manidhan
Vaanaville Vaanaville – Ramana
Added Vaanaville Vaanaville to post post.
Hi SI, writing here after quite some time ( 6 to 8 weeks or so).
Glued to the TV took most of the time (after office), following the news of our General Election and watching all the IPL2 matches, left me with very little time to read your posts and also to visit Fake IPL Player blog now & then.
The past four weeks has been hectic and managing time for everything has been a challenge, I can see smoke billowing from wifeâ€™s nostrils (even though she doesnâ€™t smoke a cigarette) for not taking her out any where for the past three weeks or so .. my kid is throwing tantrums too â€“ for me not doing – her homework!!
BTW, Has Madame Martinet been busy in similar circumstances (election, IPL2 etc.,) or on to something else? Havenâ€™t seen her posts after Sundal and Strawberry Kesaribath, hope all is well with you folks.
Well itâ€™s a tough job to list the best of IR in a blogâ€¦ all the songs mentioned by you and other 27 comments along with many more fabulous melodies are in a favourite folder in my Laptop, will try to send a few from that list in a couple of days â€“ after checking which are the missed out ones.
In the interim period, noted that Shuaib69 is back, some have taken new avatars, some have stolen some one elseâ€™s name etc, SI can you please update – since the past year or two, who has taken what avatar?
It’s been kinda quiet lately.
In your absence, we dispatched one dreaded terrorist to his maker, squeezed the cojones of America’s credit card companies, handed the American Idol crown to the not gay Kris Allen in an upset victory over the supposedly gay front-runner Adam Lambert, put the not so-azhagu Azhagiri in the Cabinet, installed the same rascals in power in Delhi, anointed the same doddering, decrepit dodo as India’s PM, another 200,000 or so Americans lost their homes, pushed California to the brink of bankruptcy, exported caste violence to Viennese gurdwaras and our Martinet boss is excited over the Einsteinian discovery of Maya-brand Rasamalai in American (not desi but mainsteam American) grocery stores!
As you can see, all in all a rather uneventful period.
BTW, the new avatar mania has taken hold of some more of our visitors now. 😉
Check if any of the songs below can be added to the list:
Kanne Kalaimane (moonram pirai)
Thenpaandi Cheemayile (nayagan)
Nila Adhu Vaanathumele (nayagan)
Paattu Solli Paada Solli (azhagi)
Raja Raja Chozan Naan (Rettaival kuruvi)
Malaiyoram veesum kaatru
keladi kanmani (pudhu pudhu arthangal)
karpoora bommai onru (keladi kanmani)
sangeetha megam (udhaya geedham)
Also a question totally irrelevant to the post. Have you read any of the works of Ayn Rand and if yes, any comments on the same?
1. You write: Have you read any of the works of Ayn Rand and if yes, any comments on the same?
Yes, John Galt. A million years back, we read the trilogy We the Living, Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.
We liked them then. Not sure if we’ll be impressed now. Maybe, around July we’ll start reading them again and discuss them here.
All three books showcased the indomitable spirit of three extraordinary souls, Howard Roarke in Fountainhead, John Galt in Atlas Shrugged and the girl whose-name-we-can’t remember in We the living.
2. We’ll check out the songs you suggest later today and maybe add some of them.
The events during my absence from this site, most succinctly put in your own distinct style, was a good read, though you missed swine flu in the list. I am still on this planet man! You made it feel as if I returned back from some Intergalactic Voyage!
Pathmanthan – the LTTE’s head of international relations ( do they still have International Relations ?) now says the Tigers would now use “non-violent” methods to fight for the rights of Tamils. An enlightenment -after being struck by lightening ?
When over $500 Millions can be asked for people displaced in SWAT due to the war between Govt Forces and the Taliban militants, Mr.Ban Ki Moon should also ask for a few million $$, to help the suffering ordinary Tamils living in Camps displaced due to the war between Govt Forces and the now defunct LTTE.
After the Lok Sabha results, Initially it looked like Dr.MMS would show his indelible ink mark (like the Bachchans) to Dr. KK when the later demanded Ministries for his entire clan, somehow things were settled with whatever â€œ The Handâ€ decided to give.
After making a profit of Hundreds of Crores of Rupees from IPL2 held at South Africa (also helped SAâ€™s economy revive a bit), Mr.Lalit Modi is eyeing your turf (USA & Canada) to hold the next seasonâ€™s shorter version, what with all the Glitz & Glamour of Bollywood coupled with panty revealing Cheer Leaders, plenty of desis around, it should click there as well I suppose, (it may also help your economy in a little way). Say welcome to IPL there in 2010!
IPL in the U.S.? Interesting.
watched the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jg1Zbnqxeg
I could sense some hidden disappointment (euphemism for bitterness) in IR felicitation of ARR.. 80% of that long, meandering speech,
didn’t have much to do with ARR.. I don’t blame IR for being bitter, but that speech was clumsy
http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/may-09-04/ilayaraja-22-05-09.html another example of his quirky behavior.
IR is uncomfortable in
ARR’s clumsy speech makes it worse.. these geniuses can’t speak
We were aware of IR’s speech and AR’s response.
The problem is most of us get carried away and unduly impressed by winners of awards like Nobel, Oscar, Grammy, American Idol et al and tend to deify those who win and look down upon those who miss.
Offtopic: After 4 Masala Vadas and 2 Samosas from a South Indian store, the world’s looking like a better place. 🙂 Encountered some H1B victims. Sad, will do a post in a short while on that.
what rubbish IR talked in that video, I couldn’t notice.
I have seen him messing up at the stage many times.
“Satish.Kumar mentioned “Kakkai Siraginile – Ezhavadhu Manidhan” ”
This song was not composed by IR but by L.Vaidyanathan (L.Subramanian’s brother). IR was so dominant in the 80’s that any melody get immediately associated with him. This is one of them. There is also another song “Avarampoovoo”(From achamillai achamillai) this song was composed by VS Narashiman. There are also few very good melodies in the movie, Vazhve Maayam and these songs were composed by Gangai Amaren.
I too agree that IR’s speech in ARR felicitation function dragged on. The behindwoods article is a good example of IR’s temperament. I think he had fallout/creative differences with almost all the people in Tamil Film industry : Rajinikanth, Kamal, Vairamuthu, Bharathiraaja, K.Balachander, Maniratnam…the list goes on
thx for pointing it on ‘ezavadhu manidhan” But I knew Gangai Amaran recentrly told about the misconception on ‘vaazhve maayam’.
i think Vairamuthu/ IR seperation is the biggest lose. I dont think ARR could have had easy time competing if IR is with Vairamuthu.
To SI, are you not reviewing Any movie this weekend. MAke it funny.
Will think of some English movie – either Up or Drag Me To Hell. Don’t worry.
u missed out songs from karakattakaran mainly ” oru vittu oru vanthu , kathal keedhal pannatheenga”
and another osngs form ramrarajan movie “ada sorgame endralum ada namma oru pola varuma ”
Added ada sorgame endralum ada namma oru pola varuma to above list.
one of the best sivakumar and ilayaraja combination http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5_7fC0wOkE , ucchi vagunthu eduthu song .
and see this song from amaran(karhtik movie) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jIaF5WsVl4&feature=fvw , this song was very popular at my childhood days . now i am 20 yrs.
We are familiar with the first song. Nice one.
Hey what about these:
MGR’s – Kadhal Enbadhu Kaviyamaanal, kadhanayagi wendum.
Mudha Mudhalil partheyn kadhal wandhadey-Hariharan
Sivaji’s- Engengo Sellum, yen yennangal (SPB)
Guruvayur appa – Pudu pudu arthangal (SPB/Chitra)
Poovey sem poovey un waasam varum – KJ Jesudas
We’ll purchase Engengo Sellum if iTunes has it. Very Nice. 🙂 Thanks.
Poove Sempoove is good too.
Few more ilayaraja classics
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKXYpgensDM&feature=related [Kadhalin Deepam Ondru] from Thambikku entha ooru
2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNNoIxp5Hww [Varusham 16]
3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hHq2lYof4U [Kanmani Anbodu] from Guna
4) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ9rUMr2T5Q [Poongatru un per solla] from vetri vizha
5) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzhd7Xf4w1c [Ori Inniyamanadhu] from johnny
We liked Poongatru un per solla featuring Amala (and that Unnaipol Oru Joker) best of all.
Few more songs
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6CGI64DVFI [Kadavul ullame] from Anbulla Rajinikanth
2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UtE7FquvPA&feature=related [Thene Thenpandi] from Udhaya Geetham
3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B4POTodRh0&feature=related [Vaa Vennila] Mella Thiranthathu kathavu featuring your favourite amala
4) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGJMXF6wiU4&feature=related [Kalyana Thenila]
Nice ones, all of them.
Amala looks cuter in the Kalyana Thenila song.
Must say that Amala has poor taste in men. If she wanted to marry an actor, couldn’t she at least have picked a real one? 😉
Nowadays we dont get to hear melodious songs but crap songs with lyrics like naan adicha thaanga matta naalu maasam thoonga matta
You write: Nowadays we dont get to hear melodious songs but crap songs with lyrics like naan adicha thaanga matta naalu maasam thoonga matta
Hey, isn’t that the song the audience is singing after the release of Sura. 😉
Few more nice songs
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e–WEZgePZM&feature=related (Ennule from Valli)
2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCQ_zRta614&feature=related (Oh Butterfly from Meera) Vikram’s first movie
3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXyjCgR0rAc (Anjali)
4) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPAjZntG9o8 (Chiina Gounder – one of the few decent movies of vijaykanth)
5) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw9h_574HxE (Raja Raja Cholan)
BTW who is your favorite kollywood singer ?
Has to be SPB but we like many of TMS’ songs too.
But our current favorite song is Meenkodi Theril by K.J.Yesudas.
Today is maestro’s birthday. Happy Birthday to the legend.
I kept his music away from a while, as his music controls me all the time. 🙁
But I can’t stop now. Here are some of the songs I listen to these days.
There is a Tamil version of above song too, called “paruvame”.
Please listen to them when you are free.
Thanks. Listening as we type.
are they atleast ok?
Are u kidding?
Very melodious, soothing on the ears! All of them.
is this post classified only to list 80s or earlier songs of Ilayaraja? If not, you could try this. Very melodious song. Sung by Sujatha, from the movie Sethu.
searched for site:searchindia.com nizhalgal..
Looks like you have never listed (but I am pretty sure that you have listened to them at some point) any of Nizhalgal songs.
Easily one of IR’s top albums.
You write: looks like you have never listed (but I am pretty sure that you have listened to them at some point) any of Nizhalgal songs
For decades, people have lamented that Reading Books is a dying aspect of our frenzied era that gives short shrift to the arts.
But it seems you’re determined to prove that Reading even the short form aspect of literature, i.e. Blog Posts is a dying art.
If you’d only cared to look above at the post you’d have seen that the peerless, nonpareil SI highlighted the Poongathave song from Nizhalgal (fourth song from top of post).
Here’s what the sui generis SI wrote on May 22, 2009 in the above blog post – “Poongathave is Simply lovely. One of Ilayaraja’s finest.”
In the next line, SI also drooled over the babe Ragini. “The girl (Ragini??) is Tamil-pretty. Ragini, where art thou?”
Further down in the same post one of the readers mentions Idhu Oru Pon Maalai Pozhudhu, also from Nizhalgal.
BTW, Poongathave is one of the first Tamil songs we purchased from iTunes.