They’re getting younger and younger. Oh, we mean the age of users on the Facebook social network.
A new Consumer Reports survey found that 20 million minors had actively used Facebook in the last 12 months.
As if that number were not worrisome enough, 7.5 million were younger than 13 (a violation of Facebook terms since users have to be at least 13).
And if that number too doesn’t perturb you, then this finding should – more than five million Facebook users were 10 and under, and, according to Consumer Reports, these kids’ accounts were largely unsupervised by their parents.
Although Facebook screens applications by age, it’s easy to get past hurdle that by falsifying the age as young kids tend to do.
According to Consumer Reports, one million children were harassed, threatened, or subjected to other forms of cyberbullying on the site in the past year.
Consumer Reports doesn’t mince words:
Clearly, using Facebook presents children and their friends and families with safety, security, and privacy risks.
Consumer Reports highlights some really scary results concerning parental indifference:
Parents of kids 10 and younger on Facebook seem to be largely unconcerned. Only 18 percent made their child a Facebook friend, which is the best way to monitor the child. By comparison, 62 percent of parents of 13- to 14-year-olds did so. Only 10 percent of parents of kids 10 and under had frank talks about appropriate online behavior and threats.
Sure we do have a Facebook account like all ye schmucks. But we spend little time on the site.
Much of what we see there is drivel.
Here’s a sample of what we saw when we logged into our account and checked what was on our “Friends” walls:
* he is so cute congrats again
* oh wow…congrats.
* oh Jesus…Jesus Jesus
* XYZ likes Chicken 65
* “BEAUTIFUL☆ MOTHER☆ AWARD ••Once you have been given this award, you have to paste it on the wall of 8 women who deserve it including me. If you receive more than 3, you know you’re really beautiful! If you break the chain nothing will happen but it’s always good to know that someone thinks you’re beautiful inside and out!” Happy Mother’s Day!! Mwah :*) ♥
* XYZ and ABC are friends
* DEF is friends with HIJ and 4 other people
* ABC changed his profile picture
And this stupid shit web site has 600 million users!
Surely, the apocalypse must be nigh upon us.
My 13 year old cousin is on facebook, the little rascal lied about his age when he joined (10 years old i think and said he was 13) . i personally hate facebook or for that matter,all blogs except SI.
I don’t know what the bozo who created this crap expected to happen when you make a social blog available to everyone on the planet except total chaos.
1. We’ve seen Asian (not Indian) kids who looked younger than 10 logging to Facebook at libraries.
2. You write: I don’t know what the bozo who created this crap expected to happen when you make a social blog available to everyone on the planet except total chaos.
Well, a $50 billion valuation is not such a bad thing.
Think of the countless desi randis Mark Zuckerberg can get with his billions! 😉
I have seen many indian girls with white men(on “what would u do” i even saw one with a mexican!) but no blacks.
I have yet to see any desi girls with freckled spotted albino’s though.
Most Indians are sick racist bastards and can’t stand Blacks. We’ve heard Indians use filthy language to refer to Blacks and overall treat them badly.