As we were desultorily scanning Bloomberg News on our iPad while lying in bed, we stumbled upon some rather interesting news:
* Facebook is banned in China.
Yes, the country of 1.2 billion hackers, low-wage slaves, destroyer of American jobs and nemesis of Indians can’t access the social networking site.
Maybe, it’s all for the good. Less time squandered on ‘Liking’ and ‘Disliking’ each other. 😉
* Facebook is growing by leaps and bounds in India. Active Facebook Accounts in India is up 85% this year to 32 million.
* India is second only to the U.S. (153 million) and Indonesia (39.2 million) in active Facebook accounts.
* Indian idiots have clicked ‘Like’ on Pepsi’s India page 1.4 million times while MTV India has garnered 2.9 million ‘Likes.’ Now, you know why we say India has no hope.
* Facebook has an office in Hyderabad, capital of the South Indian state of Andhra Pradesh to work with developers, users and advertisers.
* By next year, India will have the second largest population of Facebook users.
* SI suspects a lot of Indians are accessing Facebook on their phones although the Bloomberg story doesn’t expressly say that. Phones are cheaper than PCs and notebooks and access charges are still fairly low.
* SI has a Facebook account too.