The Sri Lankan government has rightly kicked away the begging bowlÂ put out by the Tamil terrorist outfit LTTEÂ pleading for peace.
Sri Lanka has basically issued an ultimatum to the Tamil terrorist organization – surrender or die.
This is a momentous opportunity for Sri Lanka.
We hope the Sri Lankan Government does not back down from its stand of surrender or die in dealing with the LTTE butchers and crushes the brutal terrorist outfit.
Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister Maithripala Sirisena (a recent target of the LTTE suicide brigade) told the country’s Parliament on Monday:
The government will not go for a ceasefire with the LTTE. We will not have any form of discussion with the LTTE. We have already told them to lay down arms and there is no change in our stand.
Sri Lanka considers the LTTE call for truce no more than a deceitful tactic to rearm and bolster its defenses.
LTTE is considered an untrustworthy organization in many quarters including the Sri Lankan government, sectionsÂ of the public and external organizations.
Reports by Reuters and PTI suggest that the beleaguered LTTE is having a very hard time in the face of a determined onslaught by the Sri Lankan armed forces.
In recent weeks, Sri Lanka’s army has been making significant inroads into LTTE strongholds and captured land previously held by the terrorists. In the latest offensive, Sri Lankan armed forces are said to have captured the strategic area of Kiranchi in the LTTE bastion of Western Killinochchi.
A ruthless terrorist outfit that forcibly recruits children as soldiers and actively engages in suicide bombing, the LTTEÂ was responsible for the assassination of former Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi at an election campaign rally in Tamil Nadu (India) as well as Tamil leaders in Sri Lanka who dared to raise their voice against the blood thirsty thugs.Â
Still the LTTE enjoys considerable support in Tamil Nadu and among the Tamil diaspora.
While the Tamils in Tamil Nadu are ready to engage in protests and publicity-stunt unnavruthams (hunger strike) to support their cousins across the Palk Straits in Sri Lanka, they have not shown a similar enthusiasm in asking for the capture and extradition of the sanguinary LTTE leader Vellupillai Prabhakaran to India for his involvement in the assassination of Rajiv Gandhi.
The U.S. State Department has LTTE on its terrorist list as do India and the European Union.
Whatever… I am against war and if one side is ready for ceasefire, I would support ceasefire.. it helps the civilians to recover, and gives time to talk and solve the political issues…
LTTE is a guerilla force .. the war would go never ending.. even if the government takes over the entire eelam region.. they will keep on coming back and hitting as you mentioned by suicide bombing, guerilla attacks over army etc… it would cost blood in long run.. a diplomatic government should think to solve the issue comepletely not just supress it for the time being…
Just because LTTE assasinated Rajiv, we cannot let Sinhala govt, kill each and every ethnic Tamil in Eelam.
I, as a indian want Prabakaran to be hung for killing Rajiv at the same time want civil rights establisment in SL, which enjoys democratic state in the world arena.
You write above: I am against war and if one side is ready for ceasefire, I would support ceasefire
Yes, peace is always the best option.
But with LTTE, we have to be careful lest they misuse the time to recoup their strength & start their bombings again.
The two conditions under which Sri Lanka should agree to a ceasefire would be:
1. Prabhakaran & other top LTTE leaders must first surrender & be extradited to India for trial in the murder of Rajiv Gandhi
2. Let LTTE lay down arms under international supervision
From the beginning, India has had a hand in Sri Lanka’s affairs. Each time they put their finger they create a big storm in the tea cup.
Even the present government and its backers, the nationalistic racist party like Hela Urumaya was favoured and sponsored by Indian High Commission in Sri Lanka. These guys are a big threat to the ethnic minority communities. They have already enacted or proposed to enact many laws that would infringe on the rights of the minorities.
There are some latest issues concerning Mahinda Rajapaksa govt. trying to appease the Sinhala Racist ideology promoters by trying to introduce dress code for the Muslim girls in the school preventing them to wear traditional Muslim dress. These are the problems now cropping up in Sri Lanka as a result of Indian intervention in supporting a group and a leader who has a Sinhala chauvinistic leanings.
On the other hand, LTTE must be defeated at all costs. They were given too many opportunities to grab the olive branch. They kept on doing their style of things after agreeing to too many ceasefires. The Killings did not stop then. They cannot be trusted by any standard.
So now, India must be playing their card very smoothly without upsetting any side, the Govt. of SL or the Tamil Nadu backers of LTTE to reach their target of getting the head of Prabhakaran.
The Tamil Nadu backers are seeeing this as a historical defeat if the murderer has been captured and the armed struggle failed. So, under this mindset we cannot expect that the TN backers would ever come to their senses. They are thinking beyond Indianness, beyond Rajiv Gandhi Murder, beyond the murderous nature of LTTE but only their race.
Once the LTTE is defeated the Indian govt. must ensure that the Govt. of SL brings about a political solution to reach all sections of the society in SL. The present govt.’s high spirit could lead to the re-launch of their Der-Spiegel project of Sinhala Supremacy by suppression of the minority communities. Sinhala politicians are equally untrustworthy on their word and deed. Their “Terrorists Creation” mechanisms through state terrorism and Racial supremacy is still intact, though.
You write above: From the beginning, India has had a hand in Sri Lanka’s affairs.
1. Many years back, we remember seeing pictures of Sri Lankan Tamils being trained in India in Time magazine.
2. As you say, India has had a hand in Sri Lanka’s internal affairs for a long time.
Here’s an excerpt from B.Raman’s book: The Kaoboys of R&AW. Raman is a former officer of R&AW, India’s inept external intelligence agency.
Source: The Kaoboys of R&AW by B.Raman, (2007, Lancer Publishing, New Delhi) P.124
Frist we are all Humans.Next Indians or Tamils.
Rajiv gandhi was killed due to his Action against Tamils in the form of IPKF(indian peace Keeping force).
No one can justify the rapes of around 10000 tamil girls by indian army(IPKF) & even IPKF killed more than 10000 civilians.
I don’t know why media is not focusing on IPKF acts.
Just because LTTE assasinated Rajiv, we cannot let Sinhala govt, kill each and every ethnic Tamil in Eelam.
LTTE is not a Terrorist group.but has 40ys of history. no such group substain such a long peroid.so LTTE has People support.
our indian army was defected only in two wars. one against china & other is LTTE during IPKF.
I don’t know why world recongnize Nelson medila who 1st called as terrorist & jailed for 17yrs.
What happened to our subhais chandra bose & even Yasser Arafat ,feldal castro.
why we allowed Sikh to became PM of our country after
assasinated Indira gandhi. Why we are allowing RSS after assasinated Mahamta gandhi.
I’m not tamilian,but still in this case tamils are against tamils.
only time will decide Elam tamils.
Idiot, learn to spell the words correctly..if you don’t know the spelling, use the spell-checker. Occasional mistakes are definitely OK but in your case the entire comment is riddled with errors.
1. You write above: LTTE is not a Terrorist group.but has 40ys of history. no such group substain such a long peroid.so LTTE has People support
As to the question of who is a terrorist…that is a debatable point (we know, we know… One man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom-fighter)
But in this case, since LTTE assassinated our leader Rajiv Gandhi, we’re considering the group terrorist scum.
2. As to your charges of rape…it’s hard to separate fact from fiction in the fog of war. In any war, there’s enough blame to go around and no side is completely innocent.
Also, LTTE is a master in spreading disinformation and deceptive propaganda (legitimate techniques of war).
3. You write: Sinhala govt, kill each and every ethnic Tamil in Eelam
That’s baloney. Get off your snow-white trip.
4. You write: only time will decide Elam tamils
We don’t care one way or the other as long as 1) Tamil Nadu remains part of India 2) Indian soil is not used to collect money or other resources to further the LTTE terrorist actions in Sri Lanka.
5. You write: why we allowed Sikh to became PM of our country after assasinated Indira gandhi. Why we are allowing RSS after assasinated Mahamta gandhi.
The guilty Sikhs were punished (unfortunately, a lot of innocents too died in the violent aftermath of Mrs.Gandhi’s assassination).
We agree with your implicit point.
RSS (as well as other religious organizations seeking to play a role in politics) must be banned. Nehru & Patel should not have lifted the ban on RSS in 1949.
And Narendra Modi must be tried in an international court. We’re glad that Modi is not allowed into our country.
Be patient. Your comment has been processed (with our response) above.
Time and again there has been truce and it failed .. Truce lasted for more than 4 yrs last time .. it again failed and this time the Sri Lankan Govt withdrew without giving any reasons whatsoever and launched a military offensive against LTTE . Even Norwegians were surprised.
LTTE regrouping during a truce is not the reason why Truce failed … Successive Govt’s in Sri Lanka have only talked .. talked and talked .. first with Indians and then Norwegians as Mediators … but they have never followed it up with any concrete action at the ground level …. The govt has not made any policy changes or come up with any comprehensive road map to ensure that Tamilians get back their rights .
This is the reason why LTTE has not given up its armed struggle .. because the govt cannot be trusted … Look at statements made by its leaders as late as 2008 …
Sarath Fonseka is the chief of Armed forces in Sri Lanka
â€œI donâ€™t think the people in the North and East are subjected to any injusticeâ€¦This country will be ruled by the Sinhalese community which is the majority representing 74 percent of the population.â€
Other statements include – we cannot even think of sharing power with Tamils – This is a Sinhala Nation .
In such a scenario .. laying down arms is a folly .. once you lay down arms ..then you are at the mercy of Sri Lankan’s …
People feel Prabakaran is adamant and not agreeing for any solution .. he agreed for truce .. negotiated and gave it a honest shot … time and again .. but apart from empty promises … he did not get anything … hence with every such truce … he only hardened his stance … Time will prove .. who is right …
Assasination attempt on Rajiv Gandhi was first made by a Sri Lankan Soldier .. who was not happy with the peace accord signed between Sri Lanka and LTTE … because they never wanted to share power .. The Sri Lankan govt dismissed it has Rajiv having Tripped .
Crushing LTTE will never solve the problem … Tamilians who are subjugated to oppression will continue to take revenge and this spiral of violence will never stop … Sri Lanka will realise this very soon .. Now it knows where the enemy is .. in Future they will be there everywhere … from North to East to Colombo to all parts of the country …
1. Regarding your point on truce…as someone once said in war, the first casualty is the truth. It’s hard to figure out who is speaking the truth on the violation of truce. Most likely, both sides are lying.
2. You quote above: Sarath Fonseka is the chief of Armed forces in Sri Lanka
â€œI donâ€™t think the people in the North and East are subjected to any injusticeâ€¦This country will be ruled by the Sinhalese community which is the majority representing 74 percent of the population
It’s the majority community that always (at least mostly) rules in every country with very few exceptions like South Africa or Iraq in the past.
Whites (in America), Hindus (in India), Muslims in Pakistan, Hindus in Gujarat, Muslims in Kashmir…they are the rulers. Even Obama is half-White though most people ignore his white upbringing and background. That’s the way it is and will always be.
The important goal is and should be to ensure protection for the minorities (ethnic, linguistic et al).
3. But we cannot allow terrorrists to assassinate our leader (Rajiv Gandhi) without facing the consequences of their actions.
4. Let’s stop interfering in Sri Lanka as we have for decades. We (India) have enough pressing issues to address.
The people of TN are really irritated by the stunts of DMk on SL issues, people beleive that the government is trying to divert them in basic issues like lack of electricity, Alagiri (son of CM) sponsered Gundaism etc. Karunanithi thought he could wash himself with these stunts but its not working out..
btw, I have been reading about prabaharan today.. know what the first one prabaharan killed was a Tamil (Alfred Duraiappah)… they call it the start of the war… and till date they have killed as many tamils as the sinhala did….nso its evident that LTTE is NOT the representatives of Tamils..
I think its time for the international community to step in , send forces to SL and clear teh LTTE and at the same time enforce change in the constitution of SL to give all citizens equal rights…
one of the agendum of LTTE says, first kill the Tamil (prior to the sinhala) who is ready to compromise on independant state even if it is Prabaharan. These guys are sick, they are not ready for sacrifice rather they want to kill as many as possible before they die.
You write above: I think its time for the international community to step in , send forces to SL and clear teh LTTE and at the same time enforce change in the constitution of SL to give all citizens equal rights…
Valid point but the international forces are stretched thin…Iraq, Afghanistan, Congo (if they are there)…
Medila, Subhais, Mahamta, Feldal.. I think he is dyslexic.. Didn’t Aamir preach to go easy on those folks.. 🙂
Dilsen, use the Chrome browser, it marks the incorrect spellings with a red wavy underline immediately.. (does that red wavy thingy have an official name?).. It wouldn’t help with Medila, Feldal and Subhais etc. of course, but it does correct Mahamta.
You write above: does that red wavy thingy have an official name?)..
1. Squiggles, we think.
2. While searching for the answer to the above question, we found this related word.
Joeantony:I think its time for the international community to step in , send forces to SL and clear teh LTTE and at the same time enforce change in the constitution of SL to give all citizens equal rightsâ€¦
This is exactly what we (the minorities in SL) are least expecting. SI & Joe are better informed with actual facts. Thanks.
SL govt. is a dangerous entity as they have fixed their religion and socio economic systems to support their long fight in making the whole island (SL) into an ancient Sinhala kingdom. This is their ultimate goal. So, in this pursuit they’re just trying their best to gamble the lives of the innocent people as a whole to achieve this outdated dream of their crooked minds.
The LTTE is the biggest hindrance to achieve the rights of the minorities. Our war is like the GWOT (Global War On Terrorism) of the Crazy Boy Bush. The Sinhala govt. did all their dirty work in the guise of fighting terrorism decimating all the norms of multi-culturalism.
Indian govt. is one of the main culprits in the SL issue. They could have given the Tamil people some democratic ideas instead of an armed struggle to win back their rights. The Indian govt. could have used it’s powerful regional giant status to muster more support for a political solution and SL govt. would have simply followed suit.
LTTE killed too many innocents.
Let me ask a question: Will you not call anybody a terrorist if they have hacked little children and babies to death and their mother were hacked to death in front of them??? This won’t terrorise anybody???
You see, the WAR is an extension of Politics and the vice versa (Some body said this)
So, in this context, LTTE is playing the most vicious type of politics by coverting their killer image into a Freedom Fighter. Why should I die in vain for somebody else’s Freedom (LTTE to usurp power). They bomb public places.
SL govt. cannot do any more murders or killings as in the past. Those days are gone now. They can call SL theirs or their father’s. But, there are a lot of mechanisms are in place to capture the Genocidal despots. They can’t escape now. So, after all their talks they have to come to their senses.
This what the Indian govt. is doing now, a thing which is very commendable. Once the LTTE is destroyed, the govt. cannot escape but will have to solve the issue without any further delays. So, the Indian govt. will have more leverage to pressure and failing which force the SL govt. to accept the facts.
Nobody can trust cold blooded murderers for governing. Prabha must be hanged. He’s no hero. He hides behind bushes and attack innocent people. This is Heroism?
Peace will dawn to SL with the support of India. India is the only hope we minorities have in SL. No one else can do anthing better than India.
I would suggest that you should read the following article to understand the current “ceasefire” issue in SL over LTTE.
Indian intervention failed last time around .. since both Prabhakaran and the SL govt were not happy with the peace accord … they ganged up to kick out the IPKF …
LTTE fought with the IPKF and SL army chief remarked that if IPKF does not leave then their men will have to force them to leave ..
Norwegians have also failed …
Racists Sinhala’s refuse to accept anything that gives equal rights to Tamils … and hence Tamils want nothing less than an Eelam … the fact is they simply cannot live together as equals ….and Tamilians are not willing to live as second class citizens .. No mediator can force a solution wherein two parties have diametrically opposite views and they refuse to budge ….
Let’s also accept it … India is a country , which can … but will never take a clear stand on such issues … always wavering and dithering … one day they would say this is an internal issue of SL and the next day they would come up with some stupid statement … this has partly to do with its own internal problems of insurgency and terrorism … wherein similar demands are being made …they dont want other countries to interfere …
We must not forget one simple thing … India has already undergone the pains of Partition … Pakistan has already been given to Muslims …. unlike Sri Lanka … so further demands of the similar nature on basis of religion are unacceptable and India has every right to do what it’s doing to quell Insurgency / terrorism .
SI: Itâ€™s the majority community that always (at least mostly) rules in every country with very few exceptions like South Africa or Iraq in the past.
There is a difference between a Majority ruling in India / America and say a Majority ruling in a country like Saudi / Pakistan . Srilanka falls in the Later category and hence there is trouble .. its not about Sinhala ruling .. but about subjugating the minorities …treating them as second class citizens … by framing laws / changing policies etc .
SI: But we cannot allow terrorrists to assassinate our leader (Rajiv Gandhi) without facing the consequences of their actions.
There is a difference between Prabhakaran and ordinary Tamilians dying …. SL Soldier tried to assassinate Rajiv Gandhi first … What Consequences did SL face for their actions ? … the SL govt said that Rajiv Gandhi Tripped while Walking … its a joke
Our leaders die because of their own actions .. whether it’s Indira Gandhi or Rajiv Gandhi … IPKF had no business to wage a war against LTTE for 2 – 3 yrs . it’s a peace keeping force and behaved in a exactly opposite way … if it had been sent by UN .. Indian soldiers would have been tried in the International courts for War crimes …
I am an proud Indian .. but i believe we should accept and learn from our mistakes … there is nothing patriotic in hiding the grave mistakes/ crime committed by our leaders .. and still hailing them as great leaders ..mourning their loss ..
Lets take an other example … Bangladeshi’s immigrate to Assam .. Assamese pick up arms and later on group together to become ULFA … The Indian army is sent to kick out … not Bangladeshis … but our own countrymen …. after labelling them as terrorists … The army being a professional organisation is faithfully carrying out orders of killing its own countrymen in name of protecting the unity of the country …. so much so that now ULFA leaders are hiding in Bangaldesh … This is one of the contributions of INDIRA & RAJIV GANDHI … and there are many more like Khalisthan movement …etc . I have no sympathy for such leaders … The country is better off without them .
SI: Letâ€™s stop interfering in Sri Lanka as we have for decades. We (India) have enough pressing issues to address.
If India does not interfere … Pakistan will .. China will … they are already doing so .. by supplying arms … Strategic encirclement of India will be complete … with SL also joining hands …. Sri Lanka has the dubious distinction of allowing PAkistani’s to refuel during the 1971 war with India …and what did India do ????? so to assume that SL is a friend is fraught with danger … they dont like Tamilians (who are ethnic Indians) … and we are living in a fool’s paradise ..
SI : We donâ€™t care one way or the other as long as 1) Tamil Nadu remains part of India
The only time TN demanded a seperate state was during anti hindi agitation … not for Sri lankan issue … Tamilians are Indians first and then Tamil’s .. This bogey is raised again and again and the govt tries to justify many of its actions … whereas there is no evidence to support such things … Infact suppressing Tamilians who are raising thier voice in TN against SL govt in a democratic way … by charging them under sedition … is a sure fire way of ensuring that those who are angry with Sri Lanka also start disliking their own country …
Hypothetically ..Come to think of it .. which country will TN join if it leaves India … Sri Lanka ??? or the Indian Ocean ??? . In India the constitution guarantees all citizens equal rights … if there is a violation in practice … the citizen can go to courts and hope for justice .. the state / judiciary will provide him with the same …. Unlike SL where its state sponsored terror …
1. You write above: Letâ€™s also accept it â€¦ India is a country , which can â€¦ but will never take a clear stand on such issues â€¦ always wavering and dithering â€¦ one day they would say this is an internal issue of SL and the next day they would come up with some stupid statement â€¦ this has partly to do with its own internal problems of insurgency and terrorism â€¦ wherein similar demands are being made â€¦they dont want other countries to interfere â€¦
But you forget to add one important point here – the added complexity thrown into the picture by Tamil Nadu.
Tamils support for Sri Lankan Tamils is an incontrovertible fact. Whether that extends to support for LTTE is debatable. We think there is large-scale support for LTTE in Tamil Nadu but some others may say no. It’s hard to prove concretely one way or the other though we can use proxy variables like absence of strong demand for Prabhakaran’s capture and extradition to India.
This dynamic of Tamil Nadu and the pressure exerted by Tamil Nadu politicians on the Indian central govt makes decision making even more dfficult on the Sri Lanka issue.
2. Whether it’s the Sri Lankan soldier who tried to attack Rajiv during the parade or Prabhakaran, both should held to account
3. You write: Our leaders die because of their own actions .. whether it’s Indira Gandhi or Rajiv Gandhi
No, they were assassinated by criminals, whose actions have no place in a Democracy.
4. In every war, war crimes are committed (seriously). The CRPF and Indian Army was routinely subject to charges that they were engaging in rape and pillage in North east India during the insurgency and violence there.
5. You write: there is nothing patriotic in hiding the grave mistakes/ crime committed by our leaders .. and still hailing them as great leaders ..mourning their loss ..
True, we don’t consider Rajiv or Indira as great leaders but still they were our leaders elected in a democratic process and govern through a constitutional process. They did not deserved to be assassinated. No one does.
6. I have no sympathy for such leaders … The country is better off without them .
If you don’t like them, vote them out. The last time we checked, India still had elections. Do not assassinate them.
7. Come to think of it .. which country will TN join if it leaves India .
Greater Eelam is a possibility.
8. so to assume that SL is a friend is fraught with danger
We agree. A country has no friends or enemies only National Interest.
Read the below article by B.Raman – very balanced / sensible and takes into account all factors ..
COUNTER-TERRORISM AGAINST LTTE
By B. Raman
I receive a large number of letters from readers relating to my recent articles on the counter-terrorism operations of the Sri Lankan Government against the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
2. A common theme of the letters is: “You used to write so strongly against the LTTE as the most ruthless terrorist organisation in the world. Why have you become so soft? You used to be critical of the Ranil Wickemasinghe Government which you felt was being soft to the LTTE, but now you are criticising the Mahinda Rajapakse Government for being tough in its operations against the LTTE. How can you make allegations that the Rajapakse Government is deliberately targeting the Tamil community when you know that the deaths of the Tamil civilians are nothing but unfortunate collateral damage as a result of the strong action taken by the Government against the LTTE?”
3. Let me first make clear what is my understanding of the expression “collateral damageâ€, a term often misused by security agencies to cover up the deaths of innocent civilians. In my understanding, collateral damage is unintended damage caused as a result of a pin-pointed action taken by the security forces, who did not expect any civilian casualties, but which took place all the same due to circumstances beyond their control. We have many such examples in Jammu & Kashmir (J&K).The terrorists open fire on a security forces patrol in an inhabited area. They return the fire in exercise of their law-given right of self-defence. Some passers-by are killed or injured. That is genuine collateral damage.
4. When you consciously order a punitive air strike, you cannot take excuse under the pretext that you did not expect the bombs dropped from the air to kill innocent civilians. When a stray bullet fired by you kills a passer-by during an exchange of fire, you can legitimately defend yourself by saying that you did not expect the bullet to kill an innocent civilian. You cannot take the same excuse when you drop bombs from the air on an inhabited area. The world is yet to discover a precision bomb which, when dropped from the air, will identify and kill only the terrorists. It will kill everybody in the vicinity of the area where the bomb dropped. There may be circumstances when an air strike may become unavoidable. For example, when the terrorists surround a large number of civilians and threaten to massacre them if their demands are not accepted. One has not come across such instances in Sri Lanka. There have been instances even in Sri Lanka when one could not have found fault with the Sri Lankan Government for using its Air Force—for example, to go to the rescue of its naval boats in the sea when they were surrounded by LTTE boats. There was no danger of civilian casualties in such cases.
5. One of the reasons why there is so much anger against the Americans in Afghanistan and Iraq is because of their indiscriminate use of air strikes against suspected terrorists on the ground. It is difficult to get accurate statistics, but sources in whom I have confidence estimate that since 9/11 the US has killed about 5,000 suspected or confirmed terrorists, but over 200,000 innocent civilians due to its policy of indiscriminate use of force from the air and through heavy artillery during its counter-terrorism operations. You cannot just dismiss these deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians as unavoidable collateral damage.
6. In spite of this, I will say two things to the credit of the Americans: First, whenever the death of innocent civilians appears shocking, their immediate reflux is not to deny them. They do order an enquiry and in some cases take action against the guilty officers. Second, I have not heard of any instance—either in Afghanistan or in Iraq or in the Lebanon—where the Americans or the Israelis deliberately stopped the flow of food, medicines and other essential articles to the civilian population.
7. In Sri Lanka, under Mr. Rajapakse, the immediate reflex of the Government and its spokesmen is to deny any wrong-doing by the security forces. I am yet to come across a single instance where any action has been taken by the Rajapakse Government against the security forces for excesses against innocent civilians.
8. Like the British used to do in Malaya while fighting the communist insurgency, the Rajapakse Government has been using the stoppage of the flow of food, medicines and other essential supplies to the Tamil population as a weapon of intimidation in order to prevent the Tamil population from supporting the LTTE.
9. While in service and subsequently too, I have always believed it as an article of faith that the counter-terrorism agencies must make a clear distinction between the terrorists and the community from which they have arisen and should not punish the community from which the terrorists have arisen. Many of the actions of the Rajapakse Government tend to punish the Tamil community in order to intimidate it into not supporting the LTTE. That is why I find it difficult to support the manner in which it has been conducting its counter-terrorism operations.
10. In 1993, jihadi terrorists in Jammu & Kashmir occupied the holy Hazratbal shrine. After the termination of the occupation, the security forces let the terrorists escape to Pakistan instead of engaging them in an exchange of fire since they were worried that an exchange of fire might result in large civilian casualties. There are many other such instances in J&K where the security forces have deliberately avoided an exchange of fire in an inhabited area in order to avoid civilian casualties. That is sophisticated counter-terrorism.
(The writer is Additional Secretary (retd), Cabinet Secretariat, Govt. of India, New Delhi, and, presently, Director, Institute For Topical Studies, Chennai. E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org)
Interesting piece but you must provide the source for this article and in future too.
Regarding point #9, we believe the Sri Lankan Tamil community is supporting the LTTE whether by choice or out of fear and secondly Indian security forces have not followed Raman’s prescription in Kashmir. Otherwise, why would the Muslim community in Kashmir be so estranged from India.
Dilsen: No one can justify the rapes of around 10000 tamil girls by indian army (IPKF) & even IPKF killed more than 10000 civilians.
This is not true. Especially the numbers are too much.
What do you think the Army men are group of mongrels and rapists? There may be few cases and they are always found and punished seriously…
Moreover the LTTE didn’t kill Rajiv for the rapes and murders of his army did against the tamils. Instead they were angry on the Indian government since they disapproved LTTE. Anyone who says LTTE should stop its fight they will be assassinated. As simple as that.
When I was as young as 10, Prabaharan was a hero in TN.
We used to get posters and photocards of him and his mates posing with big guns. One of the pictures was strange, it looked like a heavy machine guy which you cannot lift by hands.. it was on a tripod… and prabaharan was holding the trigger and a 3-4yr kid is siting on the gun… I was asking my elder sister about why there is a kid on the gun.. what she told was the most shocking thing I have ever heard, “Actually LTTEs use kids as human sheild” though the photo was taken to symbolise that LTTE are fighting for the future of the tamil kids .. it actually depicted the disgusting truth… LTTE hires (mostly kidnap them) kids and makes them in frontline and the guerilla fighters will appear for a flashy moment and kill as many as they can and disappear, the opponents cannot open fire at will beacuse there are children in between….
Tell me now, are they not the worlds most dangerous terrorists?
You write above: Anyone who says LTTE should stop its fight they will be assassinated. As simple as that.
We won’t tell the LTTE to stop fighting because it’s their business (and Sri Lanka’s business) but we hope the LTTE Terrorist leader Prabhakaran is nabbed and extradited to India to face trial for Rajiv Gandhi’s assassination.
hey i had sent two posts .. the second one about B Raman is posted .. what about my first one ?.
SI: Indian security forces have not followed Ramanâ€™s prescription in Kashmir. Otherwise, why would the Muslim community in Kashmir be so estranged from India.
If Security forces had not followed the policy … instead of Kashmiri Pandits … Muslims would have been ethnically cleansed from the valley and they would have been living in Refugee Camps …. say like Tamil refugees in Rameshwaram and parts of Sri Lanka .
RAW launched Operation Chanakya .. broke the ranks of the militants and many of them turned counter insurgents .. supporting the army in its war against terrorism … they were also Muslims
Kashmir consists of both kinds of people .. there is a democratic govt …. Parties like National Conference who have openly said that they want Kashmir to be a part of India have won elections and formed govt in the state.
One problem with Muslims is ..they get swayed by Religion .. and whatever good you do to them … there is no greater pull than Islam, for them …apart from religious affinity … they have no reason to demand azadi or wanting to join Pakistan .
Compare Kashmir’s economic Indicators vis a vis other states .. they are the highest … figures are shocking ..this even during such trying times .. they should be sent on a vacation to maybe Eastern UP or Bihar to understan what poverty is ….or maybe to Balochistan in Pakistan
Source for B Raman’s article:
Website : Indiadefenceupdate.com – you will find a lot of articles by defence experts
You write above: hey i had sent two posts .. the second one about B Raman is posted .. what about my first one
1. We have processed both.
Learn to be patient.
Some comments require time for us to think about and respond. SearchIndia.com is not an automated process…we have sensate beings reading the comments, thinking about them and then responding. On occasion we go to our books and quote from them (as we did yesterday from B.Raman’s book The Kaoboys of R&AW.
All this obviously means we respect those who post here and come to read stuff here.
Usually we process comments in the order they come in but sometimes in the interest of not holding up others, we do others first.
2. Based on anecdotal evidence, we still believe a lot of Muslims are estranged from India in Kashmir, partly because of the actions of our armed forces, partly for religious reasons and partly for historical reasons (remember, India broke the pledge on holding the plebiscite).
In the fog of violence and war, it’s often hard to know who is doing what and separate friend from foe.
SI: remember, India broke the pledge on holding the plebiscite.
When Pak raiders attacked Kashmir .. the local population supported India and hence Pak could not succeed .. they got what is called as POK today …
Pre-condition to Plebiscite was withdrawal by Pak from POK and then a referendum …Pak knew it would loose .. so it never withdrew … Nehru very clearly said .. we dont believe in forced marraiges – and the wishes of the people of kashmir will be respected … But the Plebiscite never took place …thanks to Pak
NEverthless India held elections in Kashmir and there was a democratically elected govt …so wishes of the people were always respected ….
Insurgency started very late … and the turning point was ethnic cleasing of Pandits .. the Pan Islamic identity … demand for a seperate state based on religion … despite having given Pakistan ….
During Partition many Hindu Majority areas went to Pakistan and many Muslim Majaority areas went to India … so to come back again and again and claim that we wont to secede on the basis of religion is unacceptable to India ..be it Kashmir or any other part of India ..
You must also not forget …. Its Jammu & Kashmir (ladakh also) … Jammu is Predominantly Hindu while Ladakh is Predominatly Buddhist … both dont support Kahsmiri Muslims and want to remain with India .. Kashmir also belongs to Pandits ..who want to remain with India …
so Lets assume India gives independance to Kashmir … then it will be truncated Kashmir … if not Hindus & Buddhist will be ethnically cleansed from the state ..in this scenario … Kashmir will be a landlocked state depending heavily on India …they dont have an option here …. so more problems … hence this solution of Azadi, joining Pak etc is not viable .. it will only compound problems for all concerned
1. You write above: When Pak raiders attacked Kashmir .. the local population supported India and hence Pak could not succeed .. they got what is called as POK today …
We are speaking from memory here but you have got the fundamental premise wrong.
It was not the local population that supported India in 1947 or 48 but Maharaja Hari Singh who dicked around and at the last moment when the marauders came begged for help and tilted toward India.
If the local people had been asked their opinion, they most likely would have opted for Pakistan or less likely an independent state.
2. But the Plebiscite never took place …thanks to Pak
That is wrong. India reneged on the plebiscite because of Nehru.
Beyond the geopolitical reasons, Nehru also had a deep emotional attachment to Kashmir. BTW, his ancestors also hailed from the region.
SI : 7. Come to think of it .. which country will TN join if it leaves India .
Greater Eelam is a possibility
In the past ..There was a talk of Greater Tamilnadu with North and Eastern Parts of SL joining Tamilnadu … and the entire region being a part of India .. just like any other state in India … there was never a talk of Tamil Nadu Seceding from India on the SL issue …. this is purely a perception … repeated again and again and reinforced … as if its true and there is a threat to the unity of India ….
Even Vaiko / Karunanidhi .. staunch supporters of SL tamils …have never asked for Seceding from India on the SL issue …Jayalalitha .. i need not say …
It was during the pre and post independence … due to caste equations ..(Periyar/ Annadurai) and then during anti-hindi Agitation ..
Wrong. There has been talk of a Greater Eelam that’s not part of India.
Organizing protests for the Sri Lankan Tamils within Tamil Nadu is unhealthy and a threat to India because we believe that’s no more than a facade to show support to LTTE.