With Vettai, Kollywood director N.Linguswamy has turned the Pongal celebrations into a huge funeral ceremony for 60 million Tamils
Across Tamil Nadu today, the depressing sounds of a dirge fill the air and wailing Tamil movie fans everywhere beat their chests in agony.
Folks, one pallbearer and one pallbearer alone is responsible for ruining the happiness of Tamils this Pongal.
And that Satan goes by the name of Linguswamy.
Vettai – Outrage Against Tamils
Like the villain Annachi who tries to rape Amala Paul’s character Jayanti by stripping her saree, Linguswamy today outraged the modesty of millions of Tamils with this apotheosis of trash aka Vettai.
If you haven’t guessed by now, Linguswamy is the irresponsible bloke behind the story, screenplay and direction of Vettai.
Vettai (Arya, Madhavan, Sameera Reddy, Amala Paul) had no reason to be made except that Lingusawamy felt a violent impulse that he just had to take out on the hapless Tamils.
At 2 hours and 43-minutes, Vettai is too long by, ahem, 2 hours and 43-minutes.
There’s no end to the parade of nonsense in Vettai.
We suspect Linguswamy had some beef against Thoothukudi (where this ghastly movie is set) considering all he does to malign the city so thoroughly.
* In Thoothukudi, girls wear blouses that are as narrow in the back as a bra strap.
* In Thoothukudi, police inspectors are pansies, effeminate cowards.
* In Thoothukudi, the bad guys burn people in front of the police station while the police inspector Thirumurthi (Madhavan) and his underlings cower in fear inside. As if that were not bad enough the thugs then enter the police station, have tea and warn the trembling cops to register the brutal murder as a suicide.
* In Thoothukudi, the police inspector’s younger brother Gurumurthi (Arya) has a full time job – beating up and nabbing the bad guys for his cowardly elder brother.
* In Thoothukudi, the police inspector’s younger brother turns into a policeman and ‘starts training after being in service,’ as we are told at the end.
* In Thoothukudi, the bad guys slash the throat of a policeman’s school-going daughter on a busy road as the cop watches mutely.
* In Thoothukudi, the cowardly police inspector turns into a super police inspector after watching his younger brother being beaten by the bad guys.
* In Thoothukudi, we have a deadly combination of Baghdad, Bogota and Kabul and a reign of terror unmatched even by the Taliban.
In Thoothukudi, it seems that there’s no end to the rain of nonsense.
What a shame that Linguswamy has turned the fine city of Thoothukudi into ….. 😉
Vettai – Ridiculous Story
If you still insist on knowing the asinine story, it’s about two rival thugs Annachi and Maari terrorizing Thoothukudi, as they go around beating, butchering and burning people in broad daylight.
After a cowardly police inspector Thirumurthi (Madhavan) is posted to the town, his ruffian brother Gurumurti goes around beating the bad guys on behalf of his cop brother.
Ultimately, the two brothers get rid of both Annachi and Maari but not before marrying two sisters Vasanti (Sameera Reddy) and Jayanti (Amala Paul).
The Acting Bit
Madhavan looks like a fat buffalo who had gorged on too much Pongal.
The clown is a poor dancer and as for his action scenes we fell off the chair laughing at his shrieks and antics.
Arya can dance and his acting has improved.
The young fellow is also impressive in the stunt scenes although the action scenes themselves were farcical with one unarmed guy beating to pulp 20 armed guys simultaneously.
Amala Paul is alright but has no scope to excel given the nonsense of a story.
The best that can be said about Sameera Reddy is that she’s not completely hopeless in Vettai.
Music – Less than Impressive
We were not enamored with Yuvan Shankar Raja’s music in Vettai.
Dhum Dhum Dhum and Papa Papa Paparapa were tolerable but hardly anything to get excited about.
The rest was just noise.
The picturization of all the songs was mediocre.
Vettai – SI Rating
What heinous crime have the 60-million Tamils committed that they should be subject to a hideous monstrosity like Vettai?
The only silver lining is that Vettai had a poor response at a theater on the East Coast with 99% of the hall being empty.
Unless you’re utterly bereft of your senses, give Vettai the pass.
Vettai is completely unworthy of your precious time and hard-earned money.